About Emsworth & St. Andrew's Presbyterian Churches
In 2016, Emsworth Presbyterian Church and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church of Sewickley found themselves in similar situations. Both churches were struggling to figure out what "church" is today. Neither church could afford to hire a new, full time pastor, so they put their heads and their hearts together and went out on a limb to try something new and different. In February of 2017, the two congregations warmly welcomed Rev. Charissa Clark Howe as their shared pastor. Unlike many "yoked" pastorate situations, the difference for these two churches has been their commitment to shared ministry and life together beyond just having one pastor for two congregations. What has happened is, in a way, like having one church with two campuses. The new life and new ministry that has come about because of this creative partnership has brought a wave of hope to the congregations that had been lost. God truly is a God of new beginnings! Today, the congregations are reaching out doing travel study seminars with Presbyterian Peacemaking, connecting with community partners, and getting back out into the community to be light and love to all those around them. These congregations are members of the PC(USA). You can find out more about the PC(USA) and our theology, ministries, and more at https://www.pcusa.org.
Rev. Charissa Clark Howe, Pastor
Rebecca Young, Student Pastor
Tom Hill, Music Director, St. Andrew's
Cindy Ward, Music Director, Emsworth
Marti Smart, Financial Secretary, Emsworth
Lisa Vasiladiotis, Treasurer, St. Andrew's
Paul Zende, Groundskeeper, Emsworth
Leslie Linko, Groundskeeper, St. Andrew's
Class of 2020
Sue Schneider, Emsworth
Nancy Mehalic, Emsworth, clerk of session
Martha Markivich, St. Andrew's, clerk of session
Jimmie Nicolazzo, St. Andrew's
Class of 2021
Bez Stellfox, Emsworth
Marti Smart, Emsworth
Brian Henry, St. Andrew's
Lori Wade, St. Andrew's
Class of 2022
Clyde Williams, Emsworth
Janet Shaffer, Emsworth
John Scanlon, Emsworth
Eileen Kearcher, St. Andrew's
Elsie Knappenberger, St. Andrew's
Emsworth Presbyterian Church
St. Andrew's PResbyterian
The first Sabbath School, which later became the Emsworth United Presbyterian Church, was organized in 1865. Mr. James Fleming and Mr. James Gilleland started with a small number of girls and boys in the old stone school house which stood on the property where the Service Station is presently located at Ohio River Boulevard and Lowry Avenue. Sessions were held on Sabbath afternoon.
Four years later, in 1869, through the efforts and enthusiasm of Mr. J.P. Fleming, 28 persons organized the Fleming United Presbyterian Church. Later the name was changed to Emsworth to correspond with the railroad station. For two years the congregation worshipped in a frame addition to the old stone school house and the sacraments were served by Supply Ministers provided by the Allegheny Presbytery.
A chapel was built in the summer of 1871 on what is now Ohio River Boulevard near Orchard Avenue. At this time the church became a branch of the Mount Nebo Church United Presbyterian Church. The minister of the Mount Nebo Church devoted half of his time to the Emsworth Church.
In 1873, the church called its first full – time minister. Through this period to 1891, it grew to declare its independence and became a self – sustaining congregation. Increased membership necessitated moving into a larger building. Thus, the present structure was built on land which was given by a member of the congregation. This site was accepted because it was centrally located; a number of the members were involved in its construction.
The dedication of the building was on January 17, 1895
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1864. Many of the church's founders were Scottish immigrants who settled in
Western Pennsylvania and desired to unit e in worship and fellowship.
The present sancuary was constructed in 1896. Some of the stained glass in the windows was used as ballast in the ship that brought
our courageous ancestors across the Atlantic Ocean to America.
St. Andrew's is a member of the Presbyterian Church (USA). Our denomination's name is derived from the Biblical word presbuteros (Greek), which means one who has oversight. We elect and ordain elders from among our members to guide and lead us inserving Christ.
We are a small but mighty congregation of individuals who come from varying religious backgrounds. We care for each other and our neighborhood and collaborate with Emsworth Presbyterian Church, Northway Christian Church and Mars Home in activities that engage children and families in our community.